Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Breaking News: U.S. wants to pretect it's interests

I have seen many news articles and Twitter posts recently slamming the US for acting in Libya to protect its interests...namely the oil fields. Well...pardon my language but, no shit Sherlock.

I know it is cool and the "in" thing to bash the United States at every turn. But to slam them for acting in Libya is just plain dumb. Yes, the US is in a precarious spot concerning all the Arab activity in the past few months. Yes, it is largely no fault but our own. But to slam a country for protecting their own interests makes no sense to me. That is the primary responsibility of a state. Off the top of my head I would say that responsibility goes like this: Safety and security of it's citizens, to provide opportunity and financial prosperity (you know, things like oil) Then somewhere down the line is providing international support for struggling countries. Let's not forget the billions of dollars that the US government spends around the world. Not even counting the millions if not billions that US non-profits and citizens (Bill Gates) spends around the world helping people. We are not ALL bad.

So, I understand we are an easy target to slam for anything and everything we do. Especially because you are almost guaranteed to face no opposition to whatever statement you make. Can we please keep it rational. I know it is asking a lot, but maybe even give credit where credit is due...once or twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment