Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beirut Lebanon

I get it all the time. You went where on vacation?! I reply, Lebanon, you know Beirut. Most of the time I then would get a lot of questions. They would start with, what was it like? How was the food? Then I would have to explain that even though Lebanon is a middle eastern country it is not a barren wasteland full of sand as far as the eye can see. Quite the contrary, it is a beautiful country, complete with beautiful beaches and incredible mountains. I would then offer a few selected pictures I have on my Blackberry as proof. At this point there would be silence and puzzled look of consternation on the face of the questioner. And then.........as sure as the sun will rise and set.  Was it safe? Did you see any guns or bombs go off? Were you looked at funny? My reply: Yes, I was very safe. Yes, I saw some guns....on the police, army guys, and municipal police. You know, the guys that should have guns. No, I was not looked at funny, whatever that is supposed to mean. I mean as far as walking around  Bourj Hammoud or Baalbek, I did not get any "funny" looks. I know that was not what they meant. What they really wanted to know, was I treated bad by any...........you know.....Muslims. Again, the answer a resounding NO! I was even traveling with people who are Armenian Orthodox Christians. As I mentioned before we spent the day in Baalbek, a Hezbollah controlled town. Not so much as a glance in my direction.
The ignorance in this country is astounding. I have heard all the clever comments: Be sure to take your flak jacket. See you on CNN. Cover your head when the rockets start falling. All made as if they were joking, but I know there was more than just a little seriousness in there. The truth is, Lebanon is full of beautiful people just trying to live their lives and raise their families. It is a beautiful country full of potential but caught in the crossfire of middle eastern politics and the fight against Israel. Ruled by politicians that are ruled by outside influences. It is sad in many ways. The ones paying the price have the least to say in the matter. With all this being said, I will go back. Sooner than later. Because there is just something about the place and the people that make whatever risk present, worth every second.

2 comments: